Council Name: Tonga National Youth Congress
Contact Person: Vanessa Lolohea
Position: Executive Director
Contact Telephone: (676) 25 474 or (676) 24 422 or Mob (676) 14 751
Contact Post: PO Box 2670
Kausela Road, Fasi- moe afi, NUK. Tonga.
Contact Fax: (676) 25 277
Brief background/history of your National Youth Council
Tonga National Youth Congress (TNYC) was established in 1991as the National Body for the Youth of Tonga. The Patron is his Royal Highness Prince 'Ulukalala Lavaka Ata. In 1991 Church Leaders Youth and Government Representative come together to form an independent body to deal with youth issues in Tonga a function that has always been done by Churches in the Kingdom. This was to address the issues of village youth fighting on religious belief. In 1996 UNESCO did a survey using focus group with TNYC to see what the issues are facing youth. The result was the top 10 issues: Unemployment, School Drop Out, Low Self Esteem, HIV/AIDS & STI, Environmental Issues,...
These top 10 issues is the baseline for designing the TNYC programs. In 2007 those top 10 issues was revalidated by youth from all over Tonga in the Youth Summit 2007.
Vision, mission, aims and objectives of your NYC.
To better the welfare of the youth of Tonga through programs that foster responsibility, citizenship, community services and leadership.
Does your NYC have a constitution? Yes.
Office Bearers and how often are they chosen?
President; Drew Havea
(Elect every 3 year)
Secretariat: Executive Director
Finance Officer: Fane Lamipeti
What are current programmes?
We focus in four main Areas:
- Media Training to Outer Islands of Vava'u, Ha'apai, Niuafo'ou, Niuatoputapu & 'Eua.
- Monthly Newsletter to Outer Island Youth Congress Offices.
- Weekly Radio Programs on the AM Radio Station which cover the entire island group. Vava'u & Ha'apai Youth Congress offices run a weekly radio program on their FM Radio Station.
- Quarterly TV Program that is broadcast to Tongatapu, Eua and Vava'u.
- Young Entreperneurship Society (YES) Project
- Future Farmer of Tonga ( FFT) Project
- Micro Credit Scheme
- HIV/AIDS & STI Project
- Young Women Caucus
- Youth Parliament Project
- Environmental Education Project
- Manage Youth Congress Database
- Monitoring and Evaluating Youth Activities
- Collect all Data on Youth Activities in the Kingdom
- negative images of youth in Tonga
- Lack of Employment opportunities
- Financial Constraint.
- Low Self Esteem/ Motivation is very low
- Scarcity of resource
- Strengthen Youth Participation and Advocacy
- Encourage and Establish Youth Enterprises and Small Income Generating Business.
- Promote Organic Farming and Environmental sound Activities.
- Strengthen Partners.